Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I Ponder... Wednesdays: What must it be like?

We've all read them... Harry Potter, Twilight, and The Hunger Games...


 







(Okay- wait. HUGE confession, and PLEASE don't hate me, come knock down my door, and throw me into the firey pit of Mount Doom. I just never got around to Mr. Potter; plus, teenage vampires just really aren't my thing, and neither is the thought of a post apocalyptic world filled with teens killing one another.)
Bethany doesn't belong here!

ANYWAY, I've been thinking that these mega popular books-turned movies have all been written by women. As I am NOT a super feminist, I AM still proud of of my fellow ladies. What an accomplishment, no? I mean, Ms. Rowling has more money than the Queen of England, herself (or so I've heard)!!! I digress...

Though I've not read these books, and nor do I even write these kinds of books, I can't help but wonder what it must feel like to get the phone call that your book(s) has made the New York Times Best Seller List... and then one that asks permissions that your book(s) become a major motion picture... and then to see the merch, the billboards, and the thousands of people lined up to see that movie.

You see, I did not get involved in writing so that "one day" my book would be greater than... a BOOK. I wanted to write so that children could one day fall in love with reading because they happened to love what I'd written. However, I won't lie and say that the "Hollywood thought" hasn't crossed my mind! I mean, the what-if factor can get blown up to giant proportions, can't it? But, I think if you allow it, you'll lose sight of your original purpose. So, this week, I give this thought for you to ponder...

Do you allow yourself to fantasize (to have the "Hollywood Thought")?
 Does it help, or hinder your creativity?


I'm curious about this one. I once had someone tell me that they worried it would jinx what they were writing. I doubt that Ms. Rowling, Ms. Meyer, or Ms. Collins EVER thought that their ideas would take them to the heights they're soaring to. But then again, maybe they always knew.

18 comments:

  1. I think if I were to let myself get caught up with thinking my book(s) will be a huge phenomenon, then it would take away from the fun in creating stories. I'm still in the baby-step stage of writing and still haven't held my first published pb (or seen it in ebook format) So, first I focus on what kind of stories my kid's would enjoy.
    Second, I ask will this be publishable or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could NOT agree more!! I can't imagine anything I'd write would be good if that's all I focused on.

      Thanks, friend!

      Delete
    2. Hi Bethany, I'm lovin' the new ebook advertisment on your left sidebar!! I clicked on it and it brought me to the MeeGenius home page though. Did you want your link to be directed to your exact book instead? Just checking. :)

      Delete
    3. *Facepalm*
      Okay, problem fixed... Thank you so much for telling me that! I don't know how I messed that one up! Haha

      Delete
  2. I haven't read Twilight either! But loved Harry and Katnis!

    Mmm, I suppose I do fantasize about making enough money from my writing to be able to write full-time and not squeeze it in around everything else.... that would be paradisiacal for me, Bethany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanna! I'd love to be able to write full-time, too. I hear the harp playing the dream sequence music, now! haha

      Delete
  3. I've read all three of these series in their entirety - I admit, I'm a YA junkie :)

    I don't think about Hollywood when I'm writing - it's probably a little less likely to come calling for a picture book anyway. But I guess I wouldn't mind if Hollywood expressed an interest, as long as they didn't wreck my story in the process, because , although I TOTALLY agree that I want to write BOOKS that children love, it's also about the story, and sharing the story, and if a movie version means your story, character, message reach more kids, than that would be a good thing, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For my children's writing, no, I've never thought beyond wanting my books to be published and read by kids who need the kind of encouragement I would have loved to have had as a kid (I had it from my parents, but would have loved to have "found myself" in books.)

    In some of my adult writing, yes, I have dreamed about Hollywood, since one of my projects deals with the film industry, and for a while I was writing it as a screenplay. (It's now back to being a novel again.)

    For the record, I read (finally) the first book in the Harry Potter series, but you couldn't pay me to read the other two you mentioned. I am too much of a wimp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Beth! I bet your novel is going to be fantastic!!

      Delete
  5. When I was writing my second novel Ireally thought it would be the next twilight. Yeah, not so much, try it lives on my hard drive! Talk about disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no!! Get it out there!! I'll send the confidence fairies if you need them! haha Comparison, I think, is the most deadly thing that a writer can encounter... Maybe I'll ponder on that a while...

      Thanks, Beth!

      Delete
  6. A writer, Mary C. Ryan, in my "writer's critique group" had one of her books picked up by Disney and made into a TV Movie, "The Other Me". It wasn't Harry Potter, but still pretty darn cool. One night she talked about her experience watching the movie be filmed with her family and how happy she was with the finished product. I wish I could remember the details -- how Disney approached her, how much money she made? I am going to have to ask more about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow... Disney?? Yeah, I guess that'd be the ultimate dream, huh? Definitely ask her more... That's pretty interesting!

      Thanks, Eric!

      Delete
  7. I think I just think of narration, whether in the form of a book or a movie while I am writing sometimes. , I wonder if what I am writing would fit the mold for either form, not in hopes of it being turned into movie, just for the sake of it sounding like a cohesive story. I ask myself, would this be something that I would read or be able to take seriously if I heard it in a movie? I guess it all comes back to voice and seeing my own work objectively. Not sure if ANY of that made sense. P.S. I hate violence and I am a Hunger Games junkie. I wanted to be Katniss for Halloween but I gave into my family's desire to be the crew from Sesame Street instead! The books are truly wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, you see, I don't fear violence... I can read about it, see it in a movie, etc, and have no issue. Maybe I don't honestly have a reason for not wanting to read them! hahaha

      But I have to know, which Sesame Street character were you?!?!?

      Delete
  8. My husband and I were Mr. and Miss Noodle. Of course my son refused to wear his Elmo costume and my daughter decided to be a doctor after being dressed in her Abbey costume all day. I should have gone with Katniss!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The success of those series are nice. Right now, I have the pleasure of just focusing on my writing. I want to be successful. I would welcome the level those writers found, but for now, I'm taking it one story at a time. I'm trying to finish the HP series now. The other two — I haven't read and it's doubtful until kiddo wants to read them. Then, I'll do what I hear so many parents do — read the books to make sure the content is suitable.

    ReplyDelete