Wednesday, October 10, 2012

I Ponder Wednesdays: What Would You Say?

Yes, I know... I have been quite the terrible blogger, as of late. I wish I had a better excuse than the few I have (painting our house, catching up on a Summer's worth of laundry, preparing for/going to my first ever Children's Book Festival), but I don't.

Wait a second...

I haven't even discussed the totally awesome festival that I got to be a part of???

Oh my... Well, maybe that will be a good topic for today, seeing as I had a LOT of questions running through my mind when I was there. And the best one? It was actually given to me by an 8 year-old girl.

I was invited to present my book, Waiting for James in a Sea of Pink , at the ScholarShare Children's Book Festival, held at FairyTale Town in Sacramento, CA, and boy... was it ever FUN!

The day started with award-winning author and jazz genius, Matthew Gollub , introducing himself to me (after I almost fell over saying something dumb like, "I know you, I looked you up!!") saying, "I looked you up, too, and I'm really glad to finally meet you."

Um, I'm sorry, time out... WHAT?! This guy is an AWARD WINNER. I'm talkin', the kind of guy who is well known, and does NOT need to know or care who on earth I am!!

I digress. So, when he introduced me on stage, he had all the kids count the syllables in my name. Then they clapped together and shouted Be-tha-ny! Be-tha-ny!


Matthew Gollub! And blown away ME in the background.
 
Not going to lie, friends. There was no time or ability to be nervous. I had all the kiddos come on stage with me and that GIANT thrown (that I'm still mad at myself for not actually sitting in!). I did an activity with two volunteers and read my book... Wow.

It all went by so very, very fast!
If you look hard enough, you can see both my kiddos sitting up there, among the children. My author pals, Amy Dixon and Elizabeth Stevens Omlor's kiddos were up there, too!
 
After it was all done, I got to sign post cards (since my book is an eBook), give away bracelets and other goodies, and talk to kids and parents about what I do.
 
 
It's funny, when you finally become what you've wanted to become your whole life, you almost never remember what it took to get there. I had the fortunate chance to glance back at some of those very memories when a beautiful little girl said something to me that rocked me to my core:
 
"Um, I want to be a writer when I grow up. Do you have any advice for me?"
 
My mind went blank and flooded with so many ideas all at once! Luckily, after I picked my jaw off the grassy knoll I was seated on, I was able to give her probably more advice than she was looking for. And her mother? You could tell that she was one of those amazing moms who teaches their kids all the right stuff. I was so thrilled!!!
 
However, now I want your answers. I think it's important to keep up with what kids want to know, right? So...
 
If an 8 year-old child asked for advice...
Advice that would gear their lives
 to go in the same direction as yours has gone,
what would you say?
 
Answer away, friends! And, happy writing!

 

29 comments:

  1. How exciting! Your festival sounded like so much fun. Thanks for sharing it with us Bethany.

    If I was asked that question I probably would have drawn a quick blank too. Maybe I would have said, "Keep on writing, keep on reading, find what you like to read then write just like that!"

    Now, I want to know what you said? haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I told her to keep on writing... Even if it's stilly jibberish! I told her to keep a journal with her at all times, and write down whatever comes to mind. I also told her to never stop reading. :)

      Then, I told her mom to keep as much of what her daughter writes. Because, she'll never understand the power of those early stories!

      Delete
    2. That's some very useful info Bethany! I remember reading a teacher's note once. It said, "Jennifer is a storyteller blah blah blah." Even if she was saying it to just say it, it helped me out beyond belief. I think what you said to her was just perfect!

      Delete
  2. Love the photos!

    I agree with Jen's advice - read, read, read!

    - Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful experience, Bethany! And I think I'd tell that little 8 yr. old to keep reading, keep writing, and not give up - that part of achieving your dreams is sticking to them! So what did you say? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more, Susanna! Thank you!!

      I posted what I said in my reply to Jen's comment!

      Delete
  4. I would say the same: read, read, read, read! Write, write write, write! I would also mention that the most important person she is telling these stories to is her reader-whether that is herself, her teacher, her friend, her family. I would also have to mention to never give up dreaming and pursuing dreams. What did you tell her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great ideas! I told her something similar (see above), and it was fun to see her eyes light up!

      Thanks, Terri!

      Delete
  5. Awesome! Keep living the dream Bethany! I would tell her to keep writing (poems, stories, whatever). To keep a notebook with at all times and write down whatever comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea, Bethany! How fun to be a part of the festival! Thanks for sharing about your experience.

    A repeat of other's advice.
    Read, read, read and write, write, write! And Rena's idea of notebook is a wonderful suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like the festival was a big success. Congrats, Bethany. Thanks for sharing your experience and the photos. As far as my advice, in addition to read and write, I would tell a child to see the world through the eyes of a writer. There are stories all around us. All we have to do is keep our eyes, ears, heart, and imagination open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that!! I think that's good advice for a writer of any age! Thanks, Alayne!

      Delete
  8. Bethany,

    Looks like the book festival was a success. Congratulations -- just think, it has almost been one year since your journey with your book began with the MeeGenius contest. Very cool to see where that experience has taken you.

    I am sure you gave a great answer to that little girl about writing. You ask us and we get to sit and think about an answer. You had to come up with one right away! I would also encourage the young writer to have a special writing journal. When it is full of thoughts and stories it will be fun to reread on a lonely rainy day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it *has* definitely been one crazy year! Thanks, Eric!!

      Delete
  9. Your experience at the Festival sounds awesomely great, Bethany!

    I'd advise the read, read, read, write, write, write thing, too, and also to do a lot of sitting and watching and listening, learning about people so that the people in her stories come alive in her reader's imaginations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfecto! What sound advice, indeed. Thanks, Beth!

      Delete
  10. Looked like an awesome time at the festival! Congrats! I,too, would tell this girl to read and write each day. By practicing we get better. And if she believes in her dreams, she can accomplish anything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had a wonderful time, loved the pics Bethany. I would have said the same as Tina especially about the believing in her dreams, she can accomplish anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was funny, because she was so nervous talking to me (which was a strange experience for me, personally!). But when I told her that I was just like her as a kid, her eyes began to sparkle. It was as if she realized that your childhood dreams really, truly, can come true.

      Thanks for stopping by, friend!

      Delete
  12. So wanted to be there with you! This was nice though... seeing it through your eyes. So proud of you friend!!!!!

    okay, the advice... read and write EVERY DAY and never stop... not even when you have kids, full time jobs, or crazy busy seasons of life. Do it. Always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALWAYS!!

      I wish you could have been there too, love. But, I carried you with me in my pocket!! (literally! I had a pen I think I stole from you, in my pocket! HA!)

      Delete
  13. Congrats Bethany! How did the festival get put together? The stage looks so cool! I like all the advice given, but I think I would tell the pondering child to enjoy being a kid - because she will need those wonderful memories to draw from in her future writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told her the same. I said to write all her kid-like, fun experiences down. I made her laugh when I said, "Keep a journal of all the crazy things your brother and his friends do!" Haha

      The festival is an annual thing done with ScholarShare and FairyTale Town. I pretty much volunteerd myself to go, by reaching out to them when I heard they were looking for authors and illustrators to present!

      Delete
  14. Congratulations! The festival looks like a blast.

    Terri said it exactly like me - I actually have a screen in my PowerPoint that reads, "Read. Read. Read. and Write. Write. Write." My advice to an 8-year old would be to write a lot. Write ANYTHING. And save it. I am eternally envious of adults who still have pieces of writing or notebooks that they used as children. I would LOVE to have those back.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful backdrop! So glad you had a great time. I think I see a trend here in the writing advice. I totally agree, but I would be a little more specific and say: keep a journal.

    ReplyDelete