(My inner-most dying need is to scream WHAAAAT??!!!)
I am filled with excitement. Yes, Santa is coming and while that is thrilling, that's not totally what I am excited about. And maybe I shouldn't use the word "excited"; I should be saying, "So-totally-proud-and-happy". That's a word, right?
This year, I was 100% positive that life was going to be a drag. We had a terribly difficult start to the year, and we lost a lot of family (not literally, but we no longer are on speaking terms with most of my husband's side of the family). I was pretty positive that 2011 would be filled with back and forth bickering and consistent fighting. I wasn't sure our kids would emotionally survive.
But a funny thing happened:
We made it.
And of course all the glory goes to God. We definitely DID have some rough patches this year, but I feel like in the last few months the four of us have really held fast to one another. Now, we are approaching THE biggest holiday for large family gatherings. I am proud to say that it'll just be us. My father, his girlfriend, and my brother will be coming over later in the evening for a super casual (maybe we'll all be in our jammies?) dinner. But in the grand scheme of things, there won't be anything grand about it. That seems like a perfect ending for this crazy year.
Now, besides being proud of that accomplishment, here's why I'm proud of MYSELF (the writer):
- I graduated from the Institute of Children's Literature.
- I got a Facebook page that allowed me to connect with TONS of different writers who have been or currently are in my same position.
- I reached out to my SCBWI regional heads to ask for help finding writers in my area, which lead me to the most incredible critique group- Four women whom I can now call my friends.
- I started my own blog (yay!)
- I joined PiBoIdMo in November and learned the ins and outs of writing for today's kiddos, as well as met LOTS of people from around the industry.
- I entered a legit contest through MeeGenius.
- I decided to join 12x12 (writing a PB manuscript each month in 2012)- Not an easy decision, given the fact that it's a tough challenge for this momma of two young boys/wife of a LEO.
All of that, and I'M STILL ALIVE! Not to mention, I STILL WANT TO WRITE!
Yep. I'm proud of myself. Is that narcissistic? Maybe so, I guess. But, still, I'm not the kind of girl that had it easy her whole life. So all of these things I've accomplished this year? Kind of a BIG deal. And that's only the stuff I'm willing to discuss!
I know 2012 is still three weeks away and we have a lot to look forward to in those weeks ahead, but I wanted to remember that even though a year can start out crappily-dappily (Yep- I said it!), it can still produce some things to be proud of.