Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I Ponder... Wednesdays: A World Without Picture Books

I am a picture book author... Duh. But, why? What got me onto this specific branch of the Children's Book Tree? Well the honest truth is, I LOVE picture books... Despite being told it was the hardest genre to get into. I heard it was practically impossible. I heard that picture books were so difficult, in fact, I had a woman tell me that it's not a good idea to start there; She even said, "Get published with a couple novels first, then go for picture books." Wow. Is that everyones' attitude? Surely somebody has to write them.

Okay, yes... Picture books are a trying genre. But, HOLY COW! What a difference they make in young kids' lives. If there were no picture books, do you think the youngest of kids would wind up having a desire to read? In my tiny opinion, I'm going to go with no. There's so much to see in a book already, but then you add beautiful illustrations and BAM! A kids' imagination goes through the roof! Instantly they see themselves fighting off the the Big Bad Wolf, or trying on that glass slipper. If no one writes them because it's "impossible", what would that mean?

"What is the use of a book, without pictures or conversations?"


Now I don't say all of this because I have a soap box hiding under my desk that so desperately needs standing on. I'm actually putting the thought up for discussion. Most of my sweet followers here, write picture books. BUT, some of you write other genres (too), and some don't write AT ALL! I think, though, that all of us have been affected by picture books at sometime in our lives. So here's what I'd like you to ponder...

What would your life be like if there were NO picture books?
How would you, your life, your childhood be different? 


I'd really, really like some deep thought here. For me, I'm not sure I'd be a writer. I'm not even sure I'd be a reader! What do you think?


Happy writing and pondering!

9 comments:

  1. I'm liking this question a lot Bethany! It definitely made me think.
    For me, the picture book illustrations where such a big part of wanting to read and listen to the stories. "I want to be an illustrator when I grow up," I remember telling teachers. Yes, that has changed a bit at this point but having that desire as a small child was enough for me to say picture books brought on a lot of my inspiration to continue to practice drawing, learn to read and eventually learn to write my own picture books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bravo! They inspired you... It's a great thing to keep in mind while you're writing, huh? Thanks, Jennifer!

      Delete
  2. To begin, if there were no picture books, I would not have a career in kidlit that I absolutely love. I own a children's literacy and music program for early learners. I would not have made so many young friends that have changed my life in so many ways. Not to mention the 12 x 12'ers who have given me inspiration, courage, and infinte support as I find my way through learning about writing kidlit. A world with no picture books would be a world void of light and bold colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this!! So true, and so beautifully said!

      Delete
  3. I would probably be going crazy as a stay at home dad. So much of what I do is built around picture books. I think I would lost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to picture you going crazy, and what that might entail... THERE'S your June manuscript!!

      Thanks, Eric!

      Delete
  4. As a baby I use to babble a lot and when I got older I made up my own bedtime stories. I had a hard time learning to read so my first memories of learning to read are looking at flash cards. My connection to picture books isn't the story itself but the memories of sitting in bed with my older brothers and having them read to me and me in turn reading to my younger cousins. If there were no picture books then I believe I would still be a reader. There would still be stories. Our ancestors told stories orally for centuries before books were created. But now stories can travel world wide with a click of a button. It's kind of amazing. I think without picture books we wouldn't be as aware of other cultures as we are. We wouldn't hear as many voices. Some words can't be translated but pictures can. Pictures reach across language barriers so it would be sad if picture books didn't exist anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't have had so much fun in the blizzard of '67 in Chicago, if I hadn't read, "The Cat in the Hat Comes Back"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If there weren't picture books, I don't think there would be so many adult books either. The thought of a life without picture books makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete