Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I Ponder... Wednesdays: Celebrity Perks?

WARNING! This post is two-fold, and the end might end up looking a little like this:

clkagqowrkgnlgDHS AHFIHPIUGFLKZhvlsd;
akhadnkajhkjfhagbjdyrik47reoe9diwl2m3nhrugof!!!!!!!!!!

***

More on that, later. Anyway, the first part is, have you noticed my blog's pretty new makeover?? I feel so special! The illustrator responsible for my beeeeautiful banner is none other than the amazing Valerie Parker! Isn't it great? Round of applause for Valerie!! She is an emerging illustrator whom I have encouraged to join SCBWI. She's all signed up, and ready to learn! Please welcome her to our incredible community!

 Also, the I Ponder... series has an official badge! One of my dearest, sweetest, most selfless friends, HANDMADE this for me. The tree is made from scraps of very meaningful bits of text... She even threw an elephant somewhere in there! So, it is literally a picture of her fantabulous craft (I hope to have it framed and put on my wall soon!), but the simplicity and elegance of it makes me happy and proud. Thank you, Laura Fay!!!


Please feel free to take the badge to your own site...
Your thoughts are valid here, so you deserve a badge for sharing them!!

Alrighty, time to get to this week's thoughts. Deep breath...

I have been annoyed, no, mad, no, FLABBERGASTED, with something I see growing in serious popularity amongst the kidlit community. I know that you might be too, so I can't wait to hear your thoughts. I am appalled by just exactly how many CELEBRITIES have picture books out there! Good grief! You name a celebrity, odds are they have a children's book. I looked at a list last night, and some names like Jewel (coming later this year, I believe) make sense! She's a well known poet and songwriter. So I get that. But, Terrell Owens? Joy Behar? JAY LENO?? And believe me, these are just to name a few! These people are great at their day jobs- there's no doubt! But the fact that they are rewarded the opportunity to write something that we put our blood, sweat, and gallons of tears into, based on their NAMES alone, seems absurd.

Steven Colbert did a spoof with Where the Wild Things Are Author, Maurice Sendak. Mr. Colbert jokingly (I hope!) talked about how it's not hard to write a Picture Book. All you need is to be a celebrity. Of course they go off on a billion different tangents, but the point is still made. As long as you have a name that people know, YOU can write a book!

It had me rolling on the floor! Here's part 1:



Funny, right? Okay, back to business!
You know what is worse? Most of the books that celebrities write are GOOD. Have you read Billy Crystal's I Already Know I Love You? Tear-jerker-city, I tell ya! And there is no doubt in my mind that ANYTHING written by the insatiable Dame Julie Andrews is perfection. But I can't imagine that Snooki's inevitable children's book will be anything to line up for (no, any legal team out there... I am NOT saying that Snooki has a book deal. However she will be having a baby this year, so she's qualified, right?).

Yes, I'm a bit peeved. Yes, that is unlike me. And YES it squashes my sense of creativity (going back to last week's post). I sit here and struggle to get attention from agents, publishers, and even my own children for crying out loud! Pity Party, table for one?

Calm me down, friends. Tell me, what do you think?

Do the celebrity perks of writing bother you,
 or do they motivate you to work harder? 

Alright. I'm off to take the chill-pill my 3 year-old has just invented (ingredients include- but aren't limited to- sandwhich crust, carrots from the floor, and bits of napkin). I've been informed that the sound of my angry fingers on my keyboard can be heard down the hall. I think that's my cue to take a breather!

Happy writing, everyone!


26 comments:

  1. OMG...that video is hilarious!! I love them both, so funny!

    I am sometimes peeved to see so much celebrities’ with books. I don't read them all but the ones I do are usually by the celebrities I like anyway. I do think it's a good thing to see them (not all) write stories for kids. Maybe it will get more kids wanting to read and open up the pb kid market in turn allowing for more of us non famous peeps a better opportunity to get published. Okay rambling off a bit, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I've already begun to realize that I am about to be humbled with these comments. To tell you the truth, I'm GLAD! You guys are all going to give me all the ideas I hadn't thought of before, and that's the EXACT point of this series. Excellent!

      I hadn't thought of the celebrity aspect of luring kids into reading. If a kid sees that a celebrity that they like has written a book, and they go to the library or store to get it, and they "happen" to see more books that look like fun, then I guess that isn't a bad thing. NOT AT ALL! Hmmm...

      Thanks, Jennifer. I'm already starting to cool down!

      Delete
    2. But come on...what kid cares about Jay Leno?!

      Delete
  2. I know! When I was a librarian, kids always wanted me to get them the Madonna books. I was like....what do you know about MADONNA?! YOU ARE SEVEN.

    However, John Lithgow's books are amazing. Some of my favorites EVER actually. You should check out The Remarkable Farkle McBride and Micawber. Worth it.

    :) Love the new look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! John Lithgow, huh? Off to the bookstore I go!

      Delete
    2. But John Lithgow is a proven talent for poetry and writing, so that makes sense. Look up some of his vids on YouTube. Also, he's a serious artist (as an actory). I have less objection to serious artists writing PBs...much objection to Snookies writing PBs...

      Delete
  3. Great question, Bethany! I think you will get some good discussion around this topic.

    One thing to think about is this: If celebrity books bring in a load of cash for a publisher, that gives them more money to work with and take a chance on debuts. We need publishers to stay in business, and if the celebrity books help them do that, then great! Like you, my writer heart wants a book deal to be the product of superb writing...but my real-world head knows that this is not always the case.

    Oh, and I haven't read Jay Leno or Joy Behar's books, but comedians are first and foremost, writers. Comedic writers, joke writers...but writers. So I wouldn't be surprised if their books were decent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! See? New perspective... I'm loving it! You're completely right about the publishers making/needing the money. I'd not looked at it that way.

      Alright, feeling better. Thanks, friend!

      Delete
  4. The trend for celebrities writing children's books is not new, nor is it surprising, now that so many of the final decisions made at publishing houses are made in the marketing department. It is all about the money, period...not about the merit or lack thereof of the actual book. A celebrity name will sell titles. I guess we have to be thankful that some of these books are actually good. Ours is not the only career that have been invaded by celebrities, though. On Broadway there is a big trend toward hiring well known movie actors for plum roles, instead of the Broadway vets that work their whole lives for such roles. Then there are the celebrity perfumes and clothing lines....the public likes what is familiar. Thus we have popular books that spawn sequel after sequel (not all of them as good as the original). But we can't do anything about it except do what we do and hope for the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Diane!

      I never thought of the Broadway aspect. How sad! But you're right. Good marketing sells, and I believe that is why Mr. Colbert made this interview. What's sad to me, though, is that he was approached to actually get that "book" published! I have no idea if he's going to do it. But if it happens, it'll probably sell like crazy. So sad. So sad, indeed.

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
    2. I think I read it actually IS being published!

      As a former theater person, the Broadway thing drives me nuts...but then again, I saw some amazing performances by celebs in leading roles -- at least they are still in their milieu, you know? Sports figures writing PBs...not so much.

      Delete
  5. I'm with you, Bethany -- my first reaction is a frizzy-haired rant, always. Then I read other people's sage comments and think, okay, then, I've been duly straightened out. Still sticks in my craw, though! (Never said I was rational.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly, I am not rational either! Haha Thanks, Renee! There are so many angles, right? If it's a trule GOOD piece, then it's hard to be irritated. I just am blown away that we must work so hard, and all they have to do is make a phone call. "Um, Mr. Agent, sir? I think I want to write a book for little kids. Make that happen."
      Yuck!

      Delete
    2. Exactly...if it's a good book - wonderful! But the FIRST thing I think when I see that a celeb has written a book, kidlit or otherwise, is that it's been ghostwritten. And that ain't cool.

      Delete
  6. Did you know that Colbert's book *is* getting published? LOL.

    I think there are some good celebrity authors and I think there are some bad ones. What I like to believe is that the profits from their books, which roll in based primarily on their name, will give the publisher money to find new talent. If it brings the publisher money which they pump into other projects, then maybe it's a good thing.

    It seems like the cool thing to do once you have kids, as if being a parent qualifies you to be an author. It does not. I once read that the First Lady Bush and daughter wrote a picture book--in an afternoon. It trivializes what we do and is probably one reason why people look down on picture book authors--anyone can do it, right? But we work months and years on a picture book to get every word, every element working in harmony.

    People will always buy celebrity books because the name is familiar. Just like they'll eat in chain restaurants--it's comfortable and predictable. They're buying a brand.

    We can only hope that our names will become brands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tara! I agree with you, wholeheartedly. I've heard on more than 500 occasions the "Picture books? Oh nice, I've written a couple myself." line. Yuck. Breaks my heart. But if it does truly benefit us in the end (by having publishers gain all the money they supposedly do), then I'm at war with my own self.

      By the way, Jenna Bush *does* have a PB out. Ugh...

      Delete
  7. I have seen some celebrity books that are just plain poorly written, and others that are deservedly published along with all other writers.

    I was grateful to see that you made an exception for Julie Andrews, who has been working hard at her craft of writing for decades.

    It was interesting to see the comment "If it gets kids reading..." So true. But some of the books that are published, by celebrities and non-celebrities alike, just shouldn't have been published in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Beth... Ms. Andrews has my creative heart and soul in her hands! If I ever had the chance to meet her, that day would be favored over any other day in the rest of my lifetime. She is exempt from ALL criticism because she has the most beautiful, poetic soul. She is one of my grandest inspirations!

      You're right; Some books should absolutely NOT be published, despite who wrote them. And that's why this bugs me. Is an editor REALLY going to critique unbiasedly? No way!

      Thanks, as always, for stopping by!

      Ps, I think you look an awful lot like Julie Andrews. I've been wanting to tel you that for months! I'm sure EVERYONE tells you that. ;)

      Delete
    2. Bethany, you have just made my day (week, month, and year) with your comment that I look like Julie! She has been my inspiration for so long, for writing AND just for how to meet life and its ups and downs. I have been privileged to meet her, and that day shines like a beacon in my life.

      Thank you.

      Delete
    3. Awww... I'm glad! She is definitely awesome. I can't believe you met her!!!!! I'm so very jealous! I guess that's what you get when you mingle with her daughter! haha :)

      Delete
    4. Actually, I met her at a booksigning in Minneapolis last May. Flew down for the event, and had a wonderful time.

      Delete
  8. And, of course, Colbert got a book deal for his book about the pole. I tend to shy away from celebrity authors. I think there have been a few mentioned in Perfect Picture Book Fridays. I've checked those out, but otherwise I just skip to someone else. That chill pill sounds like a fun one. We have creations like that at our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, *some* are actually fantastic. But they come from those who have real writing skills already! I'm telling you, Billy Crystal's book broke me in half in the middle of our bookstore! Terrell Owens? Mario Lopez? Nope. Wouldn't touch those books. No way.

      Thanks, Stacy!!

      Delete
  9. Am I the only person who got a kick out of the Colbert book? It cracked me up. But that is me, an adult. I think the majority of people who will buy that particular book will buy it because it is a parody. They'll keep it on their coffee table to show their friends over some wine and yummy cranberry cheese from Trader Joes. Wait, have I given away too much? :)

    I agree with what some have said, that if it brings money to publishers, hey, why not? I won't buy them, but if it means some kids will read because their idol wrote a book, I think that's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha man, I think I'd buy Mr. Colbert's book for *me*. And if he markets it as a joke for adults, then I'd be okay with that. And if I get an invite to "someone's" wine and Trader Joe's cranberry cheese party, I would NOT decline! ;)

      Thanks for your insight, Elizabeth. I get to officially meet you in a couple weeks!!

      Ahem... *whispers* Time to start my diet!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for your support lovie. You should be so proud of yourself. You are doing amazing work!

    ReplyDelete